January 3, 2005 -- LSI Logic Corp. today announced its comprehensive DiMeNsion-3 DVD recorder solution. The DiMeNsion-3 solution includes LSI Logic's third-generation DVD recorder system processor, a new optical servo/DSP with integrated AFE, and a new family of NTSC/PAL video decoders. Leveraging a Unified Memory Architecture (UMA), the DiMeNsion-3 solution eliminates and/or integrates a significant number of components and requires only a single DRAM and FLASH for the entire system, allowing manufacturers to benefit from a reduced bill of materials (BOM) of up to $20.
The DiMeNsion-3 DVD recorder solution includes an industry-first optical read/write servo/DSP with integrated AFE (L3200). Integrating a ZSP DSP core, the L3200 was optimized for the consumer DVD recorder market and works seamlessly with the new, full-featured DVD recorder system processor (DoMiNo 8603 or DMN-8603). L3200 provides for broad media support, including DVD+RW/-RW, +R/-R, and CD-RW/-R and double-layer read/write. DiMeNsion-3 also includes a family of analog video decoders to address various price/performance requirements. The L2150 video decoder is designed to address worldwide entry-level products, while the L2146 decoder is optimized for high-quality video recordings from RGB input, such as European SCART. The comprehensive solution provides manufacturers with a one-stop-shop for the necessary silicon, system software, and technical support for a full range of recorder products.
"By providing all the major silicon content in the DVD recorder, LSI Logic is positioning itself for continued success in the DVD recorder market," said Michelle Abraham, senior analyst, Converging Markets & Technologies, In-Stat/MDR. "Solutions like the DiMeNsion-3 that provide enhanced features and reduce the BOM will further the growth of the DVD recorder market. Rapidly growing at a rate similar to the early DVD player market, the DVD recorder market is expected to reach 18 million units in 2005, and 57 million by 2008."
The DMN-8603 integrates the following list of technologies and features:
- SACD and DVD-Audio playback: enables a universal player for a wide range of audio playback;
- Standard Definition to High Definition (SD-to-HD) upconversion: enables DVD recorders to digitally connect to HD-ready displays via HDMI or DVI;
- HD-JPEG: displays JPEGs at full HD resolution;
- DivX (and MPEG-4) encoding capability: allows up to 12 hours of record time on a single DVD disc;
- Certified for DivX video playback: for playing the popular digital video format;
- Simultaneous interlaced and progressive analog video output: makes it easier for consumers to connect to a wide variety of A/V equipment with "always on" video connections; and
- Higher-performance CPU: provides additional processing capabilities for emerging features, such as network connectivity, on a DVD recorder platform.
The DMN-8603 system processor also includes previous-generation features including Direct Digital Dub technology, YesDVD, and DoMiNoFX proprietary pre- and post-processing technologies.
Go to the LSI Corp. website for details.